It’s blueberry season again…and with the 4th of July right around the corner I thought I’d share my tasty blueberry spice pie recipe with you. It’s a recipe a dear friend made for us a few years back that has become a Scott Family favorite ever since. And now that we grow our very own blueberries it somehow tastes even better…if that’s even possible!
And not only is it really scrumptious…especially with a dollop of vanilla ice cream…it’s actually fairly easy to make. So try it out this weekend…I promise that your family and friends will be glad that you did!
Ingredients for Blueberry Spice Pie
- 3/4 cup sugar + a little more to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 5 cups blueberries
- 2 pack refrigerated pie crust….or homemade pie crust if you dare
- a little milk to brush on the crust just before baking
Instructions to Make Blueberry Spice Pie
- Combine all ingredients, tossing them together gently (but the milk and pie crust…of course).
- Unroll one pie crust and lay in a 9” pie plate.
- Spoon mixture into pie shell.
- Roll out the other pie crust with rolling pin and cut into strips.
- Arrange the strips in a lattice design on the pie, crimping the edges. (You could be fancy and actually weave it…or to make it more “Forth of July-ish”, you could even use a star shaped cookie cutter and add stars to your stripes.)
- Brush pastry lattice with milk. Then grab some sugar and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
- During the last 20 minutes of baking, cover the edges of pie crust with tinfoil to shield it from burning.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream on top!
Enjoy it today during your 4th of July celebration…but make sure to save a slice for a midnight snack later in the week!