How We’ve Redeemed Our Ground … and Will!
Winter is a unique time of year for those of us who enjoy spending a lot of time outside in our yards. This is a common time for organizing our tools and cleaning things up, but it’s also a great opportunity to reflect over the past year’s projects, while looking forward to the next. As I reflect on some of the things we’ve already done to redeem our ground, I realize I have a bit to catch you up on.
Here are some of the ways we’ve already brought a bit more life to our family…
- Renovated our 1960s ranch with the idea of giving greater access to the outside both visually and practically.
- Transformed our front yard so that: a) you could actually see it from the street; b) it had more “playable” space and was more visually balanced by building a 7 ft. retaining wall; and c) it would be a bit more welcoming to our guests.
- Reclaimed our backyard from the poison ivy and wasps…creating spaces that were both lush with plants and functional for how we wanted to live.
- After breaking up the last 8 ft. of our driveway we added an attractive raised bed vegetable garden.
- By moving our AC unit and adding a pergola and hanging daybed, we made what was once the last place you’d find us hanging out to one of the places we most love to rest and contemplate our navels.
- Perhaps most transformative was turning our side yard into what we now call “Scott Family Farm” – complete with a potting shed, bunny hutch/chicken coop.
- Not wanting to have your run-of-the-mill play house, we created a treehouse that our girls could enjoy beyond their elementary school years.
- Hosted a number of special occasions and dinner parties.
- Our latest project was to move our play-set to make room for a fire-pit. Although it’s pretty basic you can make s’mores there until your heart’s content.
As I look forward to next year…
Here are some projects we’re planning for next year…
- Creating some sort of removable canvas wall system to better enclose the coop/hutch during the cold weather months. I need to do this “yesterday”.
- Building a potting bench complete with a rain barrel watering system for “Scott Family Farm”.
- Adding some finishing touches to our Ladies’ chicken coop and run.
- Decorating and adding some “accessories” to the girls’ treehouse.
- Changing our approach and adding to next year’s summer vegetable garden.
- Planting our first winter garden.
- Address our critter problem…who tend to enjoy our veggies before we get do!
- Adding a zip-line…maybe?
- Re-landscaping the front yard where we’ve had to remove turf under our oak trees.
- Making a mirror and other things out of an old fence and some driftwood I’ve picked up.
- Figure out a lighting solution for “Scott Family Farm” – series of candles & lanterns vs. hanging tea lights.
This is just a starting point, as I know that Britt and the girls will have some ideas of their own.
What do you have on your ground redemption list this year?
Let us know, we’d love to hear.
It’s going to be a great year…we look forward to redeeming our ground along with you redeeming yours.
If you're not already subscribed to RYG and want to get periodic updates, links to new posts & other ground redeeming info ... just enter your email address below. Easy as that!