RYGblog Categories…What’s In a Name?
When Britt and I first started talking about doing a blog we knew that we had to come up with a creative way to organize our ideas that captured our passions in a memorable way. We identified six areas in which we’d personally “redeemed our ground” at home and felt like they would resonate with others too.
We came up with a single word to represent each topic specifically, while allowing some room for creative license for us and anyone else who wanted to share their stories. We landed on using verbs because we felt like it would evoke a call to action – i.e., not just be inspire people, but encourage them to act on those inspirations as well.
So without further ado, here is a brief explanation of the six categories of posts you’ll find on the RYGblog:
- GROW: This is where we hope folks will find posts that will inspire or help them to “grow something beautiful”. So anything to do with growing plants for the purposes of beautifying a landscape or the design of your outdoor spaces would go here.
- PLAY: Although the word “play” connotes an activity for a child, this is where we will post any game or physical activity taking place outside – regardless of the age of who’s enjoying it. This would include: playing games, working out, exploring, nature-oriented activities…or even building anything to make those things happen.
- GATHER: One of the ways we’ve most enjoyed our yard is by having people over to enjoy it with us. So this is where we hope to inspire and encourage others with ideas of how to bring family and friends together in their yards, and in turn grow deeper relationships with them.
- HARVEST: More and more people are seeing the value of sustainable living and healthy eating. We’ve personally enjoyed the fruits (and veggies) of our labor from our small garden. This is where you’ll find anything to do with planning and growing vegetables, fruits and herbs as well as how to further enjoy them once they are harvested.
- RAISE: While others have cats and dogs….we have chickens as pets. Regardless, pets are viewed as a part of the family…so they should be taken into consideration with the design of your outdoor living spaces. In this section of the RYGblog we will offer inspiration and insight into raising animals as well as share design ideas to help incorporate your pet’s needs into your lifestyle and landscape.
- BLEND: Using natural materials, textures, and colors inside your home is a great way to connect you to the outside. This is where we’ll share creative decorating ideas to “blend” your interior and outdoor living spaces in a way that will not only “redeem your ground” outside, but bring life inside as well.
So there you have it…how we’re going to organize our posts – and hopefully your posts too. We may learn that we’ll need to expand or contract this list over time…but this is where we’ll start. Hopefully you’ll find it helpful as you explore the RYGblog.
You may also enjoy these posts from RYG ...
If you're not already subscribed to RYG and want to get periodic updates, links to new posts & other ground redeeming info ... just enter your email address below. Easy as that!
Love your blog! I will be back often! So much great information! Blessings!!
Thanks so much Tricia…so glad you like our blog. We look forward to getting into the swing of blogging the first of the year. Very glad that you’ll be coming back…please tell your friends. Take care and Merry Christmas!! Cheers, Doug
Absolutely love this blog!!!
Thanks so much Jeanne! Please spread the word bird! T’was great seeing you & your fam a couple of weeks back…had been way too long. Please reach out if you have any ideas or thoughts on RYGblog – you or your hubby…would love to hear whatever you have to say. Take care, D.